Below are some helpful links:
Education / Student Loans
To obtain general information about the Department of Education use the following website - http://www.ed.gov/
The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman of the Department of Education helps resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans. Click here to access their webpage (http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/)
The links listed below provide helpful information in regards to student loans and post-secondary education. If you have have further questions contact our office at 800-339-9834.
If you have further questions, please contact the Burlington Office at 800-339-9834 .
- Vermont Agricultural Website (www.vermontagriculture.com/newfarm.htm) -
A resource guide for Vermonts new and aspiring farmers as well as for "seasoned" farmers looking for state and federal agency contact information and program descriptions.
Critical Financing Issues
- Business advice and planning through the Farm Viability program (started recently by a partnership of the VT Housing and Conservation Board, the VT Agency of Agriculture, and UVM's Extension Service and Center for Sustainable Agriculture). - (www.vhcb.state.vt.us/viability)
- Ethan Parke, Coordinator, email@example.com 828-0795
- Rick LeVitre, UVM Extension, Richard.LeVitre@uvm.edu 1-800-281-6977 ext. 18
- Allen Matthews, Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Allen.Matthews@uvm.edu 656-0037
- The VT Agency of Agriculture may be able to help - Call 1-802-828-2416.
- The Milkweed (http://www.themilkweed.com) - Information on dairy marketing and other business insight.
- National Family Farm Coalition (http://www.nffc.net/issues/)
- The National Farmers Union website (www.nfu.org)
- American Farm Bureau website (www.fb.org)
- The State Affiliate (www.vtfb.org)
- The National Family Farm Coalition (www.nffc.net)
- The State Affiliate (www.ruralvermont.org)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (http://www.usda.gov)
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (http://www.fda.gov)
- Information hub for other dairy resources (http://dairymax.org/)
Federal Worker Compensation
If you have further questions, please contact my Burlington Office at 800-339-9834.
Immigration and Visa Services
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- To check the status of an open case click here.
- U.S. Department of State - Homepage Foreign citizen traveling to the U.S.? American citizen traveling abroad? This site will help you plan your travels.
- U.S. Department of State - Visas Official source of information about United States visa policies and procedures.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
The IRS website provides most the information you will need in regards to your taxes. They offer downloadable copies of all of their forms and publications, as well as helpful filing information and how-to's. Also found on the site is important tax statistics, information for individuals and businesses, and electronic services for taxpayers which includes information about filing your taxes electronically. If you need further assistance, please contact 800-339-9834 .
- Internal Revenue Service (http://www.irs.gov)
- State of Vermont Department of Taxes- http://www.state.vt.us/tax/index.shtml
- Taxpayer Advocate Service - http://www.irs.gov/advocate
- eFile - Follow this link (to learn more about filing your taxes electronically.
- EITC - Changes to the Earned Income Tax Credit law will expand the number of low-income working taxpayers who qualify for tax relief. Click here.
The following links provide helpful state and federal information on international adoption. If you need further assistance, please contact the Burlington Office at 800-339-9834
- Office of Children's Issues - Information about the adoption process in 60+ countries.
- Citizenship and Immigration Services - (Immigration and Naturalization Services, INS) Immigration information for foreign born adopted children.
MEDICARE / MEDICAID SERVICES
To obtain help with general health issues contact Vermont's Health Care Ombudsman (HCO). The HCO advocates for individual Vermonters with health care and health insurance issues. They also track and study trends in health care, comment on federal and state health care regulations and recommend needed changes to Vermont's health care policies. All of their information can be found on their website - http://www.vtlegalaid.org/hco.html
If you are looking for information on Medicare or Medicaid Services the following links are particularly helpful:
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) -
This website will help you coordinate your benefits, provide drug and medical information, and give you contacts specific to your type of coverage. It simplifies the payment systems and explains in detail the Medicare program and what kind of coverage they offer.
- Office of Vermont Health Care Access (OVHA) -
The OVHA is the state office responsible for the management of Medicaid, the State Children's Health Insurance Program, and other publicly funded health insurance programs in Vermont.
* Veterans refer to our separate "Veterans Services" Webpage.
TRICARE is the Department of Defense health care program for members of the uniformed services and their families and survivors, and retired members and their families. TRICARE Northeast is administered by HealthNet Federal Services, Inc. For up to dateinformation on TRICARE programs and benefitsbrowse the U.S. Department of Defense Military Health System web site. If you need further assistance, contact the Burlington office at 800-339-9834.
If you have interest in getting into the military your local recruitment office is the best place to acquire information. Any other concerns contact the Burlington office at 800-339-9834.
You can contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service to settle any pay disputes you might have with the military. If you need further assistance, call us at 800-339-9834.
If you need assistance with Nationa Guard Issues...
- Air Force Personnel Center
- American Red Cross Services for the Military
- Coast Guard
- DefenseLINK, Department of Defense web site
- Department of Defense Civilian Employment Opportunities
- Department of Defense Directives
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR): 1-800-336-4590
- Operation USO Care Package
- U.S. Service Academies
Click here to fillout an online Service Academy Nomination Form.
- National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- U.S. Military Postal Service Agency (mailing information)
If you have further questions, please contact the Burlington Office at 800-339-9834.
- Social Security Administration (SSA) - The SSA website provides a great deal of information on Social Security. You can also change your address, order a replacement card, a benefit statement, or a proof of income letter. Below are some specific links within the SSA website:
- Apply for Disability Benefits
- The Appeals Process - Social Security wants to be sure that every decision made about your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claim is correct. We carefully consider all the information in your case before we make any decisions that affect your eligibility or your benefit amount.
The Vermont Agency of Transportation offers transportation services throughout the state, both in rural and urban Vermont. Visit their website or call '511' for more information:
- Vermont Agency of Transportation - http://www.aot.state.vt.us/
- Public Transit Information:
- Telephone # 511
- Website - http://www.aot.state.vt.us/PublicTransit.htm
Good News Garage is a non-profit social service garage that accepts donated cars, trucks and vans, repairs them, and provides them to low-income Vermont families. The mission of Good News Garage is to remove transportation barriers to employment and education. 90% of car recipients are parents with 1 or more children.
Senator Sanders secured $850,000 for the organization that was used to help construct the eight lift garage. Since the new site opened in 2003, Good News Garage has been able to provide over 175 low-income Vermonters per year with a vehicle.
- Telephone # 1-877-GIVE-AUTO (1-877-448-3288)
- Donate a car online - www.goodnewsgarage.org
- To apply for a car http://www.goodnewsgarage.org/apply/
If you are travelling abroad the following link will provide helpful information for passport renewal, international laws and regulations, general travel information, and other programs that can aid you in planning your trip.
- TRAVEL.STATE.GOV - Bureau of Consular Affairs