Vermonters have a long history of serving their nation honorably in the armed services. An elite group of Vermont high school students just took a significant step toward joining that tradition. Last weekend, Senator Sanders congratulated the next generation of Vermont military leaders. The Senator nominated 21 Vermonters to attend the military service academies. "I am proud of the Vermonters I have nominated to the service academies, and they should be proud of their academic accomplishments and commitment to public service," Sanders said. Senator Sanders joined Senator Patrick Leahy and Congressman Peter Welch in congratulating the assembled nominees of each member of the congressional delegation.
A nomination by a public official is a major step in the highly-competitive admissions process for students interested in attending the United States Military Academy at West Point, the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md., the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, and the Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, N.Y.
Sanders said "I am confident that those students who are accepted at the academies and go on to serve their country will be outstanding representatives of Vermont."
Vermont's congressional delegation greeted the young leaders Saturday, December 22 in the historic Cedar Creek Room of the Vermont State House in Montpelier.
Senator Sanders' 21 nominees, the highs schools they attend and the military academies they have been nominated to attend, listed alphabetically by their hometown, are:
- Danville - Thomas W. Blackmore, Danville High School, Naval Academy
- Derby Line - Gregory L. Trahan, North Country Union High School, West Point
- Enosburg Falls - Joseph R. Luna, Enosburg Falls High School, Naval Academy
- Essex Junction - David A. Granato, Essex High School, Air Force Academy
- Manchester Center - Marina J. McGrail, St. Andrew's School, West Point, Naval Academy
- Milton - Benjamin J. Stuart, Rice Memorial High School, West Point, Naval Academy
- Morrisville - Andrew T. Brown, Montpelier High School, Naval Academy
- Orange - Corey J. Cicio, Spaulding High School, Naval Academy
- Poultney - Joseph D. Simons, Poultney High School, West Point, Merchant Marine Academy, Air Force Academy
- Quechee - Joel G. Bassette, home school, West Point, Naval Academy
- Richford - David A. Perry, East Lyme High School, Naval Academy
- Richford - Daniel J. Lacroix, Richford High School, Air Force Academy
- Rutland - William C. Shouldice V, Mount St. Joseph Academy, Merchant Marine Academy
- St. Johnsbury - Kenneth G. Bunnell, St. Johnsbury Academy, Naval Academy
- St. Johnsbury - Alex C. Redznak, St. Johnsbury Academy, Naval Academy, Merchant Marine Academy
- Shaftsbury - Matthew K. McVay, Mount Anthony Union High School, Naval Academy
- Stamford - Alex J. Schueckler, Drury High School, Naval Academy
- Waterford - Matthew J. Lane, St. Johnsbury Academy, West Point, Air Force Academy
- Wilder - Sean W. Stone, Hartford High School, West Point, Naval, Merchant Marine, Air Force Academy
- Winooski - Jacob S. Isham, Winooski High School, West Point, Naval Academy
- Woodstock - Thomas R. Johnston, Mid Vermont Christian School, West Point