BURLINGTON, March 1 – Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) today announced $487,000 in federal funding he secured for equipment and renovations at 34 senior centers across Vermont.
“This continues an effort that we have been making over the last five years which has now brought into Vermont over $1.2 million for senior citizens,” Sanders said. “This money will go for a myriad of purposes, depending on the needs of the center. It will, among other things, purchase new kitchen equipment, repair roofs, buy a new dishwasher, install a new furnace, repair an elevator, make centers more energy efficient and improve services for the Meals on Wheels and Congregate Meals programs.
“I am a strong supporter of Vermont senior centers. These centers, and the thousands of volunteers who work with them, do an extraordinary job in bringing seniors together - making sure they get good nutrition, health care and social activities. In these very difficult economic times, I’m proud to be working with them.”
The Department of Housing and Urban Development grants of up to $18,675 per center will be administered by the Vermont Association of Area Agencies on Aging and will provide funding for:
- Pilgrim Manor Senior Meal Program, Burke - $18,675 for kitchen and dining equipment for newly constructed center.
- Darling Inn Senior Meal Program, Lyndonville - $1,500 for kitchen equipment.
- Lunenburg, Concord, Gilman Senior Center – $18,675 to replace boiler/heating system, repair roof and repair and remodel facility.
- Barton Senior Center - $15,000 to purchase a dishwasher, public address system and dining room tables.
- Lake Region Senior Center, Orleans - $10,000 to make upgrade the kitchen.
- North Troy Senior Center Meals Program - $4,500 for a new kitchen range.
- Russ Sholes Senior Center, Middlebury - $18,675 for renovations and upgrades.
- Quin-Town Senior Center, Hancock - $1,600 for kitchen equipment.
• Chittenden County
- Champlain Senior Center, Burlington - $12,800 for new technological equipment.
- Heineberg Senior Center, Burlington - $18,675 to help fund a major kitchen upgrade and renovation.
- Arrowhead Senior Center, Milton - $18,675 for gas furnace and kitchen equipment
- Franklin County Senior Center, St. Albans - $18,675 for kitchen improvements
- Bennington Senior Center - $18,675 for elevator repair and building painting.
- Rutland Meals on Wheels - $3,000 for security cameras.
- Godnick Adult Center, Rutland - $18,675 for kitchen upgrade, handicap parking access and technology equipment.
- Brandon Senior Center - $2,900 for hot water heating, lighting and equipment improvements.
- Young at Heart Club, Poultney - $10,745 for kitchen, computer, insulation, and entryway improvements.
- Castleton Community Center - $18,675 for parking lot repaving and improvements.
- Wallingford Seniors Group - $7,375 for energy efficiency shade at their meeting location in the town hall.
- Bugbee Senior Center, White River Junction - $18.675 for facility upgrades.
- Pierce Hall Community Center, Rochester - $18,675 to help pay for major renovation of historic building.
- Springfield Senior Citizens Center - $18,675 for exterior doors, replacement windows and painting.
- Stoughton House Meals Programs, Windsor - $18,675 for kitchen and computer upgrades.
- Meals on Wheels of Lamoille County, Morrisville - $18,675 for kitchen equipment.
- Chelsea Senior Center - $1,600 for food preparation equipment
- Orange East Senior Center - $4,670 for kitchen, entertainment and exercise equipment.
- Randolph Senior Center - $18,675 for facility repairs and a new flagpole
- South Royalton Senior Center and South Strafford Meal Site - $2,400 for kitchen equipment
- Galley Senior Meals, Barre - $15,439.08 for kitchen equipment.
- Mad River Valley Senior Center, Waitsfield - $8,000 for a replacement dishwasher.
- Montpelier Home Delivered Meal Program - $620.92 for a freezer.
- Northfield Senior Center - $18,675 for kitchen expansion.
- Twin Valley Senior Center, Marshfield - $18,675 for renovations to expand the center and kitchen equipment.
- Waterbury Senior Center - $18,675 for meals on wheels equipment, two refrigerators, oven, commercial toaster, computers, and a kitchen floor upgrade.